Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tuesday's Topic/Question

What would I do with $50,000? (I'm assuming taxes have already been taken out and I really have this much) :)

The first thing I would do is tithe 10% ($5,000).

Next I would want to give to an organization helping the people of Haiti. Red Cross, maybe, I'd also look into Christian organizations helping. My heart is so broken for these people. I'd give $1,000 to whatever organization I chose.

Another thing that's been on my heart is sponsoring a child. Through a couple of blogs I frequent I've found out about a wonderful organization called Compassion. They have programs set up in many different countries. Even before the earthquake sponsoring a child from Haiti was on my heart. I found out though that, I'm assuming because of all that's going on, sponsorship for children there is not available right now. I think I would hold out until it was available again, otherwise, my 2nd choice would be to sponsor a child from India. Through Compassion to sponsor a child for a year would be a little over $450 the cost is $38/month, but so much is done to help.

OK so I'm at $43,550.

Looking for a new vehicle is on our list this year. The mini-van we have is on it's last leg, we bought it used in 2002 and it's been wonderful. We have over 200K on it now and it's still running....it runs loud, but it still runs. :)
My husband's dream vehicle...well, dream that we could fit our family in, is a Toyota Sequoia. The practical side of me says to go for the Toyota Sienna, mainly because it's cheaper. :) So I'm thinking we'd spend $15,000-18,000 on a new used vehicle. What we get would depend on how much we spend. If this were the case I think my hubby would win out and we'd go for the Sequoia, so to get a good one we'd probably drop $18,000.

Alright we're at $25,550

I'm going to take $5,550 of that and use it toward 2 trips. Maybe I'm low-balling here, but we do like to find deals. And, well, we usually try and keep our trips as low cost as possible. So I'm not sure how I'd budget the money but I'd use some for our upcoming Disney trip and then use the rest for my husband and I to take a trip to Hawaii. And I'm pretty sure we could make it work....we know of a deal or 2 we could get. :) Anyway, the Hawaii trip would be a dream trip for me! :)

Now I'm at $20,000

I'd like to take $2,000 and pay off all our medical bills. I know those don't accrue interest, but I hate having them! And since other than our house payment we really have very little debt, to wipe out the medical bills would be a weight off my shoulders!

Ok, $18,000 left

At this point I think I'd want to save most if not all the rest. Use more if we need to for our trips, but keep the rest in savings or use a couple thousand to finish up some of the never ending projects around the house. It's hard to say. :)

I'm going to leave it at that. Probably not the most exciting of things, but..... oh well. :)
Maybe some things would change (for sure not the first 3) if I spent more time thinking about it, but that's what I've got for now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment