Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mind and Heart

There's a small bit of clarity, understanding, sense made of what I've been feeling for the last almost month and a half.

One of the biggest fears/concerns I had about adoption (there are still others) that was silenced has now become this place of pain, aching, confusion, depression almost...

Love.

Love for a little girl with almond eyes who lives on the other side of the globe.

I love her deeply. I ache for her. It physically hurts sometimes to not be able to hold her, kiss her, snuggle her, right here, right now.

My mind is confused. It doesn't quite know what to do with this love.

When I gave birth to my kids, there was, for me, an instant bond, on my end. I had loved them for the months they lived and grew inside of me. And when I held them, each of them, for the first time, that love, however possible, became stronger. My eyes beheld them in their pink, squishy, newborn beauty. My heart burst with love for them. I would protect them at all costs. That fierce, gentle, all-consuming, mother's love. My other children have been with me since day 1. For 9 months I held them and protected them under my heart. When they were born, I held them in my arms. I've never had to love them from afar.

This little girl who's face we don't know. I love. I love her so much it hurts.

I can't see her. I don't know her.

I can't dry her tears. I don't know if she's afraid.

I can't hug and kiss her. I don't know if anyone does.


I sometimes see her when I dream...but she's elusive, I never quite see her face.

My mind is looking for her face. This love that's pent-up inside, waiting to be given to her. It's looking for her.

I see faces of beautiful almond eyed children online. My heart sometimes whispers, "could it be you?". My mind tries to remember the face I've seen in my dreams. Nothing. We still have months to wait.

There are many days it's easier to be indifferent, to try and not think about her. But my heart never allows that thinking for long, she is, after all my daughter, I can't deny her.

I just wish I had a picture.

So on the days that my mind is spinning, wondering what in the world to do with the love for this little girl who's not physically here. I can look at that picture and calm myself down.

Perhaps, that's not how it works? I've heard and read of many adoptive parents who say it's even harder to wait once you have the picture.

I just have days, many recently, that I wonder what to do with the emotions that come along with not having a picture. This is all new territory for me. And recently it's been so much harder then I care to admit.

I wish I could say I had a great way to wrap up this post (which I'm not sure made any sense) and put a pretty bow on it, but honestly I've got nothing.

The truth is I've had a lot more days of knowing what to say and what the right answers are, but even knowing the answers on many days has not made things any easier.

Trusting God the way we've had to over these past months has been one of the hardest things I've ever done, and the scary thing is we've probably only barely scratched the surface of where God is leading us to trust Him.

God has brought us to a place where all we can do is trust. There is absolutely nothing we can do in our power right now to speed anything along. I know it's a good place. To be completely reliant on Him. But it's not easy...not easy at all.

So we will continue to wait, continue to pray, continue to trust...

3 comments:

  1. Oh I so know the ache you're referring to...it's such a beautiful gift from God! There will be days once she's home when having that love upholds you when behaviors are hard, patience is short, siblings quarrel, and you are never alone In some ways it's like the end of pregnancy...nest, nest, nest...POUR time and attention into the kids already at home filling up their "cups" for when they will have less of your time, pour into your marriage, read books that are REAL about how hard it can be, talk through how you'll handle "what if" situations, spend time with girlfriends!, memorize the Word, pray the Word over her even from afar.....serve others now. Someday soon your season of blessing will come and you'll be so busy...serve now...and one of my fav things...when I tempted to have a "this is so hard pity party," pray for others! I love reading your heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jessemyn! It's a comfort knowing you get what I'm feeling.
      If you have any book recommendations please send them my way. And good scriptures to pray over her, please let me know.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. What Jes said, plus - each stage you are in will convince you that *this* is the hardest part. Once you reach the next stag you'll realize you were wrong - which is why each stage is so important to go through and process through because it is preparing you for the next. That isn't very comforting but it's honest. Part of you will be satisfied when you have her picture and can study her face and know some details and the ache of curiosity will lesson and be replaced with such an intense urgency to go and get your child it almost overcomes you, yet you have to wait and wait and wait. The delays you're experiencing now are nothing to the delays when you have a picture and a story and a face. But...the moment you see that face in person? The moment she sees yours and she cries at all that is happening and you cry and grieve with her and for her and the relief that washes over you that you finally finally have her? Well...that is worth all of it. I promise. <3

    ReplyDelete